bigdataevents

 

As a marketing coordinator at Objectivity, I need to have certain qualities: strategic thinking, creativity, and attention to detail—especially when it comes to event planning.

One of the upcoming events that Objectivity will be attending is Strata + Hadoop World, which takes place Sept. 29 – Oct. 1 in New York City. There are many action items to complete before the event starts, one of which is handling logistics. This process can be time-consuming, deciding which giveaways to order, which marketing materials to ship, and which exhibit setup is best suited for this event.

As I am becoming more familiar with the logistics process, I have been thinking: how do shipping companies handle Big Data problems? Oftentimes, people—including myself—take technology for granted and expect to get a response right away. Companies like FedEx and Amazon can receive hundreds of orders per second; with this massive amount of Big Data coming in every day, managing it can be problematic.

These businesses in logistics, manufacturing, and transportation are part of the Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT); they use database technology to fuse massive volumes of Big Data with streaming, often sensor-based Fast Data. This process of information fusion will revolutionize enterprises: the McKinsey Global Institute reports that the estimated potential economic impact of the IIoT is as much as $11.1 trillion per year.

Of course, we have only reached the tip of the iceberg when it comes to realizing the true potential of Big Data use in the Industrial Internet of Things. According to Noel Yuhanna, Principal Analyst at Forrester Research, in the presentation “Drilling Insights Out of Big and Fast Data,” hosted by Objectivity, only 15% of available data is utilized by enterprises today, simply because businesses don’t have the tools, the approach, or the initiatives to drive Big Data. With the help of information fusion solutions, companies are able to access the remaining 85% of data to achieve greater insights and add significant business value.

If the past few weeks of event planning have taught me anything, it’s that Big Data can be a big challenge for everyone—even marketers in the Big Data technology companies themselves. So if you’re in New York for the Strata conference, come visit Objectivity at booth #941 to learn how we can help you help us, and I’ll be sure to give you a tote bag of goodies for stopping by!

 

 

Ann Shih

Marketing Coordinator

Ann Shih - Marketing Coordinator

SHARE THIS POST
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Share on LinkedIn